Historic Homes: Your Guide to Choosing the Right Roof
Start with an AssessmentSchedule an assessment before you purchase any materials or start any work. That way, you can become fully informed on the needs and demands of your home before moving forward with the project. A reliable roofing contractor will tell you how extensive the project needs to be. If there are areas of leaking or underlying damage, the contractor will identify them. To perform an accurate assessment, the contractors may also need to remove a piece of the existing roof. This will enable them to inspect the attic and determine what is happening under the surface of the roof.
Choose the Right MaterialsOnce you have a good idea about the scope of the project, you’ll be ready to pick your materials. We recommend one of these quality roofing products for historic homes:
Asphalt ShinglesAsphalt shingles are available in a wide array of colors, styles and sizes, making it a great roof choice for many homeowners. They first appeared on the market in the 1900s. And they are sought-after by Virginia Beach residents for being durable and affordable. The most popular asphalt shingles are three-tab shingles, laminate shingles, and premium shingles.
Types of Asphalt ShinglesTo better assist you with choosing the right roof for your historic home, here is a breakdown of these favored roof materials:
- 3-Tab Shingles
- Also known as strip shingles
- Affordable price
- Name derived from the creation and installation
- Expected roof lifespan of 18-20 years
- Laminate Shingles
- Other popular names are dimensional shingles or architectural shingles
- Its double-layer makes it heavier than the 3-tab shingles, but provides more durability
- Roof lifespan usually ranges between 25-28 years
- Typically comes with a manufacturer’s warranty
- Premium Shingles
- A.K.A. luxury shingles, they are the most durable and most expensive type of asphalt shingles
- Provides a multi-dimensional look
- Extremely weather resistant – a huge benefit for hurricane season!
- Can last up to 30 years